According to the AAPCC. over 50,000 calls were made to poison control centers in regards to an exposure with liquid laundry packets. A majority of these calls were for unintentional misuse of children five and under. We are now seeing an increase in intentional ingestion of the laundry packets from teenagers due to a recent trend – ingesting the laundry packet and uploading a video of it to various internet platforms.
Misusing these laundry packets can cause serious health implications. Potential effects can include seizures, pulmonary edema, respiratory arrest, coma and even death.
AAPCC data for intentional exposures among 13-19 year olds
|January 2018||143 cases|
* Numbers for 2017 are subject to change since 2017 data set will not be closed until the summer of 2018
If you or someone you know misuses a laundry packet or has questions about the potential risks please call us immediately.
GPC In the News:
- NBC26 – Local health experts weigh in on dangers that come with “Tide Pod challenge”
- WSBTV – Georgia teen among those sickened in ‘Tide Pod Challenge’
- Wall Street Journal
- New York Times
- USA Today
- Washington Post
- Chicago Tribune
- Buzzfeed 1 and 2
- ABC- GMA Spot #1 (video and accompanying article) and ABC-GMA Spot #2 (Video only)
- CBS Evening News (Article Only)
- The Denver Post